Founded in 1980, TABIA gives Toronto Business Improvement Areas a voice. From advocacy to collective bargaining TABIA actively advances the interests of its members.
TABIA works with all levels of government to actively advance the interests of Business Improvement Areas and create an environment in which their members can thrive. Be it Parking Issues, Garbage, Safety, Taxes, or BIA legislation TABIA strives to look after the best interests of its members.
Each Toronto BIA is eligible for membership in TABIA. All Members in good standing may take advantage of a the full range of benefits offered.
TABIA also offers its members discounts and other benefits and privileges of real value.
The following are just some of the many advances made by TABIA:
- TABIA/City of Toronto Interdepartmental meetings bring City Staff from various departments and BIAs together so that BIA issues or departmental initiatives can be discussed and resolved before they become problems.
- Copies of Interdepartmental Presentations are available on line under Resources for BIAs
- As part of a City of Toronto Economic Development Department initiative BIAs were able to retain additional staffing. This initiative also allowed BIAs to participate in a 50/50 cost share program for the purchase of computer equipment. This program is now closed.
- A Simplified annual budget process and shorter wait times for receiving BIA operating funds.
- BIAs are now exempt from the city set fee structure and application frequencies when dealing with banners in designated BIA areas. This has resulted in more manageable BIA banner, floral and seasonal decoration programs and hundreds of dollars of savings for BIAs.
- BIAs are covered under the City of Toronto's policy for Public Liability insurance. The $308 or so annual deduction from a BIAs levy covers any liability issues related to festivals, special events and streetscape initiatives and allows BIAs to satisfy the municipality's insurance requirement for up to 5 Million dollar coverage around festivals/special events and road closures. Most Importantly the $308 covers the $50,000 deductible the city policy carries. To retain this coverage independently would not be economical for most BIAs.
TABIA provides tangible financial benefits to its members.
Directors & Officers Liability Insurance TABIA has secured favourable rates for Directors & Officers Liability Insurance. Member BIA Boards can receive coverage under TABIA's policy at a fraction of the going rate. Independently some BIAs have paid between $1,100 and $2,500 annually. Through this initiative, your board could be covered for between $400 and $1,000.
BIA Directors Liability Insurance
2015 - 2016 Program Pricing
|Operating Revenue||Annual cost|
|$ 0 - $100,000||$400|
|$100,001 - $300,000||$500|
|$300,001 - $500,000||$600|
|$500,001 - $1,000,000||$800|
|$1,000,001 - $2,000,000||$1,000|
Financial Audit Fees
When the city legislated that BIAs would now be required to seek the services of a private firm to conduct their financial audits TABIA proactively sought quotes on behalf of its members. The successfully coordinated RFP for audit services by TABIA means long term savings for BIAs. Savings to individual BIAs can range from a minimum of $1,000 to $2,500 based on the complexity of the BIAs operations.
Join Tourism Toronto Through our partnership with Tourism Toronto BIAs can now join at the special price of only $449. Get active as part of the leading association for Toronto's tourism industry. Enjoy all the exclusive benefits of membership in an influential network that represents the tourism and hospitality products and services of the Greater Toronto Area.
TABIA offers BIA's Group Health Insurance with flexible benefit plans and customized comprehensive coverage.
You get to choose which components and at which level coverage for you and your employees, including Dental, Life Insurance, Vision Care, Drug Plan, Paramedical Services and more, at the lower rates usually enjoyed by larger firms.
Group Benefits Specialist
Direct Line: 416-894-5246
N'Take Our company supplies a large variety of custom-made bags and accessories made from an environmentally friendly material known as PolyfabricTM. It looks and feels like traditional fabric, but is much more durable and affordable and is made from 100% recyclable material. Use these durable, attractive and environmentally friendly bags to promote your next event, or in your retail environment.
Special pricing for TABIA members. "Creating a better environment, one bag at a time..."
Educating Main Street With the assistance of the Ministry of Education, Universities and Colleges and the technical expertise of Seneca College TABIA now has a four course program that your BIA can deliver to your on street membership. The courses are designed with a focus on main street merchants and include, Internal and External Theft, Marketing your Business, Human Resources, Hiring and Firing.
BIA Operating Handbook With the partnership of the City of Toronto BIA office and HRDC, TABIA has collaborated in developing the first BIA operating Handbook which provides BIA Boards of Management with a quick reference resource on the day to day operations of a BIA.
Website Resources The website is your online resource for information about and for Toronto BIAs.
The TABIA CityWide Campaign gives member BIAs the opportunity to promote themselves and their events in their local media at a substantial savings. This is all made possible through careful negotiations with the media and the generous assistance of our corporate sponsors .
All member BIAs are provided with a listing on the TABIA website (www.toronto-bia.com). Each listing includes contact information and a direct link to the BIA's website. The TABIA website also offers an events calendar featuring all BIA events and festivals that take place throughout the year. As the TABIA site is linked to the City of Toronto site, members also receive the benefit of that link.
TABIA shares information about BIA events with the City of Toronto Tourism office, the Economic Development department and City of Toronto Special Events. BIA events are also featured on our website.
TABIA offers its members many opportunities to connect with their fellow members.
Since 2001 TABIA has coordinated a by-Annual National BIA Conference in Toronto to provide our member BIAs with the opportunity to share ideas and learn from the experiences of other BIAs, BIDs and Downtown Revitalization Districts from across Canada and the US. Over 200 participated in the 2012 conference in Thunder Bay, Ontario and almost 300 members attended the 2013 Conference at the Toronto Eaton Centre Marriott Hotel
2018 Brings the Conference to Collingwood, ON
Those members that attend find the sessions not only informative but valuable in dealing with member issues and legislative requirements.
For all of the details from the 2018 Conference in Collingwood, ON go to www.obiaa.com
Breakfast Meetings offer a more informal venue for members to meet and learn. Each meeting offers an informative speaker, a light breakfast and an opportunity to chat with fellow members.